Thursday 16 February 2012

Ballet Mecanique (1924)



I decided that just the first 8 minuets will be enough to give you the general gist of this film.
After watching this, and during watching this, I felt extremely sick, I thought I was going to BE sick, much like the rest of my class. It was extremely hard to watch, I wanted to look away but I didn't want to miss anything, incase there was something to pick up on to make some sort of plot.
There was nothing.
I picked up that maybe the film was set in a circus. Towards the end especially we are given a couple of wide shots that could make out the whole of an object instead of just shapes.

Before showing the film we talked a lot about Cubism, we looked at paintings by Picasso and Braques, but I found more sense in their paintings than any of this film.

We looked at Features of Modernism

  • Takes Contemporary life as a theme, technology, city life, personal identity
  • Challenges traditional 'realistic' art which is not really 'real'
  • Often critical of mass entertainment.
I can pick up these features in the paintings, in cubism but for me Ballet Mecanique is just to abstract for me and I couldn't focus or pick up anything relevant to... anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment