Sunday 12 February 2012

Brief 2, Observational Documentary

I really loved the idea of this project and in researching watched Molly Dineens film about Angel tube station.
However I found it extremely difficult finding something that the world had not seen before and trying to fit that 'something' into a two minuet film.
For this project I worked as Director with Kohei as Producer.
I started off with two ideas, one was to film Ariel and Monte doing their film of an observational documentary, but after watching the rushes from that day I realise it wasn't really working and that I needed to find something or somebody, a subject that I really cared about.
So I choose to film my friends, not an original idea, but people that I knew would be comfortable with me filming them and to act natural. (although its debatable whether running around in your pants is natural)



I really enjoyed making this film and hope that others can learn something from it, about student life. On showing the film to fellow film students they all commented how they wished they lived in halls and how halls life here looks exciting and different, which I believe it is. So I felt really good about the film and about making a difference to peoples opinions on halls life, especially on Writtle house which is classed as 'the quieter' of the halls on the Middlesex website.
Im thinking about making another observational documentary this time about my younger brother James who is 5. I may do an experiment and give him a camera to see what he films, and if he can make something better than I can by capturing something that adults ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment